Happy New Year 2021

WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY, HEALTHY, PROSPEROUS AND PURPOSEFUL NEW YEAR 2020

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Random Thoughts-24: "World Asthma Day"

May 5th is observed as World Asthma Day world over. I am well qualified to write something about asthma on this day. Yes, as a chronic patient of bronchial asthma, I have much to say about it. But don't worry, I shall be brief. As I am opt to boast whenever I get a chance, I inherited love of books and bronchial asthma from my paternal grandpa. Fortunately for me, asthma reminds me of its existence only during winter. DrMathur might have classified it as wet asthma.

I used to suffer a lot during winter. No doubt my way of life and my inherent nature added fuel to fire. For a chronic patient of asthma, choosing the hobby of book-collection is nothing but stupidity. I should have chosen some active, outdoor hobby. But as I said before it chose me rather than my choosing it. When a person belonging to lower middle class indulges in book-collection, naturally the books are procured from secondhand bookshops and platform booksellers and then comes the problem of storage and upkeep.

Old books easily attract dust and silverfish. If I so much as go near the bookshelf or handle a few books during winter, an attack of asthma is bound to ensue. During the early stages, the medicines I depended upon, made me sleepless and there were other side-effects. So I became disenchanted withallopathy and started looking for an answer in alternative medicine, especially Homeopathy. Homeopathy definitely did help. As you probably know, homeopathic medicines do not fight or cure the disease; they only strengthen your immune system, which eventually overcomes the disease.

Chill wind has been my first enemy. So I learnt to protect myself by wearing protective gear and also by avoiding exposure to it. During winters, the sun has been my best friend. My moods would go up and down with the sun. Incidentally, my short name, 'Suri' literally means the sun.

The other precaution is with regard to food. By trial and error, I found out the food stuffs allergic to me and started avoiding them. The generally rule regarding food is, take simple, easily digestible and warm food. Also you take your dinner early and by the time you go to bed, the stomach is not heavy and the sleep is not disturbed.

However, asthma had a positive side for me. It would make me get up around 4 am daily during winter and after that sleep is not possible. Now that has become a regular habit and get up around 4 am throughout the year.

As Robin Sharma says, you have an edge over the other guys as you start the day very early. As the saying goes, early bird catches the worm. OK, that is all for today.

(Written on May 5 and posted on May 6, 2009)

No comments: