Happy New Year 2021

WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY, HEALTHY, PROSPEROUS AND PURPOSEFUL NEW YEAR 2020

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Random Thoughts-36: "Living in the World of Walter Mitty"

I was rearranging books in one of my shelves. I came across this torn, battered copy of a book of short stories collection. Even the title page was not there and it started from the contents page. Out of curiosity, I perused the titles of the short stories. When I came across James Thurber's, "The Secret World of Walter Mitty", I remembered having read it long back and having discussed it with my friend VC, while we were on a 'padayatra' (pilgrimage by foot) to Palani. It is a world-famous story and a masterpiece.

Before I go any further, have you read the story? If not, kindly read it before proceeding further; am providing a link to the full story from All-Story.com:
http://www.all-story.com/issues.cgi?action=show_story&story_id=100

Walter Mitty is a pathetic, pitiable character, a no-body. He finds it difficult to face reality and indulges in heroic daydreams assuming himself to be a famous general, surgeon etc. In short, though harmless, he is an escapist. To balance his inferiority complex, he indulges in grand and elaborate dreams of heroism. The world is full of such pathetic characters, to whom life has been difficult to bear. Probably they could easily empathize with Mitty. That may explain the popularity of the story. It was so popular that the word "Mittyesque" got into the dictionary.

People who lead a dull and dreary life, who keep repeatedly bumping into reality, find a way to hide themselves in their wild fantasies. Instead of facing their problems and fears head on, they just run away and hide themselves. At one time or the other, everyone might have indulged in this sort of dramatic fantasy, though not to the extent of Mitty.

I also used to be another Mitty. I had a very difficult life. Sometimes I wonder how I got out of it and feel grateful to God that I am out of that miserable condition.

I think Spiderman, Superman and such characters came into being because of this sort of fantasy deep inside everyone of us. It also explains their runaway success. It proves that in a limited sense, it could be helpful to one and could help one to get out of depression once in a while.

For further reading:
"The Secret World of Walter Mitty" from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Life_of_Walter_Mitty

Write-up on "James Thurber" with his picture from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Thurber

I take this opportunity to salute the memory of James Thurber. Also my grateful thanks to All-Story.com and Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

No comments: