Happy New Year 2021

WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY, HEALTHY, PROSPEROUS AND PURPOSEFUL NEW YEAR 2020

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Random Thoughts-27: "Smoking in Public Places"

Notwithstanding the law, I see many people smoking in public; they seem to be flaunting it in defiance and seem to be spoiling for a fight with anyone who even looks at them with annoyance. There is also a feeling that the state government is not very serious about implementing the law, their sympathies being with the smokers. Another reason could be that it was introduced by Dr.Anbumani Ramadoss. Whatever may be, we are all , including women and children, are still a victim of passive smoking.

These public-smokers stand near you and exhale tobacco fumes arrogantly, making it clear to you that they care two hoots of the law and for your health. I used to get mad when subjected to such arrogance. But, of late, I feel only sorry for them. What is the reason for this change of attitude?

I remembered one of these days that I also used to be a smoker during my college days; but I used to do it secretively, being afraid of it coming to the notice of my dad. But I was not a chain-smoker.

One day I had been to Madurai to appear for pre-university examinations to clear my arrears. I was staying in a lodge. In the evening, for a change of scene, I went to the Madurai Railway Station and incidentally met a few of dad's friends. At that time, my dad was in Gummidipundi performing census of passengers for the railways. What I did not know was that there was only one more day left and my dad managed to obtain permission from his boss and came straight to Madurai. His friends who had seen me told him where I was staying. He came straight to see me.

I was enjoying a smoke inside the room, after an hour or so of concentrated study, when I heard somebody knocking at the door. I immediately put out the cigarette and opened the door. I was shocked to see my dad. He came inside and could easily inhale the tobacco odour. Further, he could also see a new pack of cigarettes with a matchbox on the table. Before he could ask anything I told him that they were probably left by the previous occupant of that room. He did not probe into it but only asked me to take care of myself, study well and write the exams confidently. Then he left. I heaved a sigh of relief.

After the exams, when I returned home after a week, the first thing he said was: "Promise me that you won't touch tobacco in your life again." You can guess my discomfiture. I had no other alternative and touched his outstretched palm with mine. And that was that. It never occurred to me all these years to break that promise. But for that probably I would also be smoking now; though I doubt I would have had the courage and audacity to smoke in public, being a timid guy.

My dad is no more now; he passed two years back at the age of 80. Unfortunately, during his lifetime, it never occurred to me to say: "Dad, I am very grateful to you; you saved me from a great evil." It would have made him very happy. It gets added to the things you regret of not having done.

So now when I see somebody smoking, I only feel sorry for him and think: "Man! you probably did not have a dad like mine."

2 comments:

nellaiappan said...

very nice.
I too feel pity for the unfortunate sons. And this reminds me my responsibility as a father of two children.

We expect more random thoughts.
Regards,
nellai.

vineshkumar said...

Your blog is very nice... i like your blog ....
Pollachi hotels